Longview Burn Injury Attorneys
Longview is the county seat of Gregg County, Texas, and one of the fastest-growing cities in the U.S. Companies with significant presence in Longview include Eastman Chemical, Consolidated Electrical Distributors, and Trinity Rail Group. Individuals in Longview who suffer serious burn injuries may need a personal injury lawyer to help them pursue full and fair compensation. At the Sorey Law Firm P.L.L.C., our practice is focused exclusively on personal injury matters.
Burn injuries can have several different causes:
- Thermal burns are caused by contact with fire, hot surfaces, hot liquids, or steam. Employees who work around hot implements and equipment should be provided with proper safety equipment to prevent injury. Nursing home residents who smoke should be monitored in order to avoid fires and burn injuries.
- Chemical burns are usually caused by exposure to strong acids or strong bases. The substance can cause a reaction on the skin or within the body and affect internal organs if chemicals are swallowed. Chemical burns can occur in workplaces where chemicals are handled. Workers around hazardous chemicals should receive proper training on how to use chemicals safely.
- Electrical burns can be sustained by individuals working with electrical currents, at home or in the workplace. An electrical injury can cause damage to internal tissues, typically in an arm or a leg. The damage may be more serious than damage caused by a burn on the skin. A person who has been injured by contact with electricity should see a doctor immediately.
Burn injuries are classified by degrees of severity. They include:
- First-degree burns: These are minor injuries involving the top layer of skin. With first-degree burns, the skin is red and painful to the touch and may show mild swelling.
- Second-degree burns: The first two layers of skin are affected with second-degree burns. Symptoms include deep reddening of the skin, pain, blisters, a glossy appearance from leaking fluid, and possible loss of some skin.
- Third-degree burns: The injury penetrates the entire thickness of the skin and permanently destroys tissue with third-degree burns. Signs include loss of skin layers and skin that is dry and leathery or may appear charred, with white, brown, or black patches. Third-degree burns are often painless, although they may be surrounded by patches of first and second-degree burns causing pain.
Statistics based on burn center admissions in a recent ten-year period are provided by the American Burn Association (ABA). The survival rate for burn injuries is 96.8%. Causes of admission to burn centers, as reported by ABA, are:
- Fire or flame (43%)
- Scalding (34%)
- Contact with hot objects (9%)
- Electrical contract (4%)
- Chemical exposure (3%)
- Other (7%)
If you have suffered burn injuries through someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to seek compensation for losses. Damages you may be entitled to claim may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages or earnings
- Pain and suffering
If your burn injuries are severe or catastrophic, resulting in permanent disability or disfigurement, your damages could be substantial, and may include:
- Future medical expenses
- Future loss of wages or earning
- Pain and suffering damages
Our experienced personal injury attorneys can assess the full extent of your losses -- past, present, and future -- and pursue the maximum compensation available under the law.
- At the Sorey Law Firm P.L.L.C., you get big firm experience with small firm attention.
- Our founder, Dan Sorey, has ten years of previous experience in law enforcement and worked for a nationwide plaintiff’s firm for many years. He has represented injured clients throughout the nation, including handling trials in five different states.
- We offer personal, client-centered legal services and will travel to meet you if you are unable to come to us.
If you have suffered serious burn injuries through someone else’s negligence, call the Sorey Law Firm P.L.L.C. at (903) 212-2822 right away. We offer a free consultation and will do everything we can to protect your rights.
Don't wait to get help. Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.
18-wheeler Driver Fell Asleep And Killed Driver.