New Mexico Caregiver Abuse Lawyer
Caregiver abuse is defined as “actions or lack of appropriate action which can cause harm or distress to an older person, occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust” by the World Health Organization. Caregivers may be guilty of elder abuse or neglect in a variety of situations, even inside nursing homes and assisted living facilities. At The Sorey Law Firm P.L.L.C., we are advocates for seniors in New Mexico who have been neglected or abused by their caregivers.
Elder abuse can occur in several different forms. It may take place as:
- Physical abuse: Inflicting pain or injury on an older adult
- Confinement: Isolating or restraining (physically or chemically) a senior for reasons other than medical
- Sexual abuse: Touching, fondling, intercourse, or any sexual activity with an older adult who is unwilling to consent, threatened or physically forced, or incapable of understanding
- Willful deprivation: Denying an older adult food, shelter, medical care, medications, therapeutic devices, or other physical assistance, exposing the senior to the risk of physical, mental, or emotional harm
- Passive neglect: Failing to provide an elderly person with necessities of life, including food, clothing, shelter, or medical care
If your elderly loved one has been entrusted to caregivers, be alert to the following warning signs of abuse or neglect:
- Physical abuse: Bruises, abrasions, burns, pressure marks, or broken bones
- Neglect: Poor hygiene, unusual weight loss, signs of dehydration, unattended medical needs, bedsores
You have a duty to report abuse or neglect of older adults, under the New Mexico Adult Protective Services Act (27-7-30). You can make your report verbally or in writing to Adult Protective Services of the Aging & Long-Term Services Department. The statewide intake number is (505) 476-4912, or you can call toll-free at (866) 654-3219. You may also contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman statewide at (866) 451-2901. If you believe the senior is in immediate, life-threatening danger, call 911.
If your elderly loved one has been a victim of caregiver abuse or neglect, it is in your best interests to speak with an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer.
Founder Dan Sorey has ten years of previous experience in law enforcement. He then worked for a nationwide plaintiff’s firm, representing injured people from across the United States for many years, handling trials in five different states. Dan also has a master’s degree in business administration, which gives him a deeper understanding of nursing home abuse cases from a corporate, as well as a legal and medical perspective.
People in assisted living facilities have certain rights, guaranteed under the federal Nursing Home Reform Act of 1987. At The Sorey Law Firm P.L.L.C., our New Mexico nursing home abuse lawyers are dedicated to protecting the rights of older adults who have been injured through caregiver abuse or neglect. If you suspect your elderly loved one has been victimized, call us at (903) 212-2822 as soon as possible to find out how we can help.
Don't wait to get help. Contact our Albuquerque Nursing Home Abuse lawyer to schedule a free consultation.
18-wheeler Driver Fell Asleep And Killed Driver.